Saturday, April 28, 2012

Race Day 2012

Momma new walking shoes.
Race Day. Up at 4:45 for a race that begins at 7:15 that is just 4.5 miles from home. So even though everything is set out shoes, shorts, food is still allow 1 hr to get to the race line. I volunteered for package pick up this morning and don't want to be late. Leave home 1 hr later after second guessing and reworking all that had been done the night before so I didn't/shouldn't have to do so.
Package pickup. I forgot close up glasses so can't see names on the bibs. I am relegated to shirts, which I can figure out since the sizes are written in giant letters on the sides of the boxes. If I mess up, it's because the wrong shirt in in a box. 
Breakfast time.
So I guess boiled, organic eggs smell because someone asks, "Is that the garbage I am smelling?"
 "No, it's just my eggs, I guess they didn't cook quite all the way." I respond. Note to self, scramble eggs next time.

7 am. Close enough to race time to change shoes. Off with the Uggs, on the the Merrell's. Socks are just a bit wet. Spray the 50+ sunscreen, remove the jacket, on with the gloves, I can still see my breath in the morning air.
On to the start line. National Anthem is sung, hats back on, stretching done, find start point and I am off. First mile pace about 15 min, mile 2, I am next to someone who has a watch that loudly announces Mile 2,  race time 28.34, 14:27 mph, helpful to me who does not wear a watch. Good warm up pace but need to pick it up a bit.
Mile 6, finally catch Debbie, my new friend who does not know how fast she is walking because she usually runs. She and I both want to catch the group in front.Ok, so the groups has one is in a walking kilt, one who sways back and forth way too much, and one who is wearing pink socks.
I move past Debbie. It takes until mile 9 to pass the one who sways back and forth too much and the kilt lady. Kilt lady says the both of her other 2 pacers are 29 years old. So I don't have to worry about them. Did I mention I want a third place finish?
Pink socks picks up her pace and I never catch her.
My finish time by the clock, 2 hrs 59:03. I am thrilled. My fastest finish time for 13.1.  1 entire minute faster that in March.   I am hopeful for the 3rd place finish. I did that in my first year, I was 4th in the 2nd year.

It took a while for the walkers time to be posted  I check  at the medal winners table asking about times. I say my name. They are looking at times. My name is not there. "Is that the walkers chart?" I say. "Yes," they say.  "And what was your time" they ask. I say, "About 2:59:" Why is my name not there? I ask my self. I look at my shoes. I have my timing chip on. What is the problem? I look at my sister timing chip. It does not look like mine. Why does mine have writing on it and hers does not?

Because you dumb shit, you put the wrong side of the chip on your shoe last night!!!!
My time does not exist.
My personal best does not exist.
My race does not exist.

So, the third place finisher finished 30 seconds ahead of me so I would not have qualified for a medal anyway. 

 Whew!


No comments:

Post a Comment